Home improvement projects tend to dominate the spring and summer seasons. After all the weather is nice and the days are long, offering plenty of opportunity to kick it into high gear. Premier Polishing in Holbrook is your go-to polished concrete service. Offering polished concrete, pressure washing, and sealed pavers services, we make your home shine. Our work is quality at its finest, and we’re excited and privileged to work with you on your next home improvement project or office upgrade.
We’re excited about spring being just around the corner. As everything is greening up here in New York, we thought we’d keep with the season and explain just how green polished concrete is. If you’re in our service area near Holbrook, contact us today to get started!
THE ENVIRONMENTAL FRIENDLINESS OF POLISHED CONCRETE
- Hardly any raw materials are consumed with polished concrete. Polished concrete is concrete that has been polished and ground to a glossy finish. A hardener is applied after the grinding process has been completed to help harden and dust-proof the surface. Basically, you are taking a flooring that is already in existence (concrete) and beautifying it (polishing it). In this process, the floor is ground and polished with just a hardener (usually water-based) and a stain-resistant substance applied.
- LEED approved. LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. They certify buildings and processes as green around the world. Its mission is to encourage companies to be environmentally-friendly by using resources responsibly. It rates buildings and processes on a system that includes ratings for the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of said buildings and processes.
- Can use recycled materials. Polished concrete has the ability to be customized in terms of adding in crushed glass, marble chips, or metal shavings to create a unique, one-of-a-kind design that customers crave. Most of these materials would otherwise end up in landfills if not reused here in the polished concrete process.
- Volatile organic compound (VOC)-free. Volatile organic compounds are compounds that are emitted as gases from certain substances. Some are man-made and some are natural. Some of these VOCs are harmful to humans, and long-term exposure may cause cancer. These chemicals are widely-used in household products. They release these compounds when used, and to some extent, when stored. Paints and coatings have long been composed of VOCs, as well as varnishes and cleaning supplies. Polished concrete coatings are free from VOCs, which results in cleaner air and a decrease in health risks.
- Reduce the buildup of dirt, grime, allergens, pollutants, and dust. Carpets and other flooring types are notorious for harboring bad guys, such as allergens and pollutants, that can be harmful to our health. In fact, with each step on carpet, dust usually flies up and into the air, which you then proceed to breathe in. Carpets can also encourage mold growth when they are wet or are perpetually damp. With polished concrete flooring by Premier Polishing in Holbrook, you can rest assured that your polished concrete floors are not only a green alternative, but a healthy alternative for everyone in that particular space.
- Energy efficient. Most polished concrete floors reflect light. This reflection brightens up your space, allowing you to use less lighting overall. With natural light from windows, sometimes this light is increased by 30%. This not only saves you and your business money, but it also saves the environment by using less fossil fuels that generate the electricity.
- Low maintenance. Polished concrete floors are amazingly simple to take care of — all you have to do is mop regularly. This saves on energy costs since you’re not running a vacuum constantly as well as costs on cleaning supplies, all of which require fossil fuels to produce.
- Durable. With proper care, polished concrete flooring can last a lifetime, meaning you’ll never have to replace it. This saves raw materials, the energy and natural resource cost of producing and installing those raw materials, as well as the costs of polishing the new concrete.
- Recyclable. If you do demolish your concrete flooring (which Premier Polishing in Holbrook would ask why), all of the flooring can be recycled, which saves on landfill material. Recycled concrete flooring can be used in a variety of ways, including as decorative material for other floorings, as gravel in roads, or even to combat shore erosion near the beach.
- Passive heating and cooling effect. Concrete material is a great conductor of heat. This means that the polished concrete flooring is usually cold to the touch because heat flows from it so quickly, meaning it stays cool in the summer. In the winter, the sun streaming in from the windows can heat the polished concrete flooring, which helps to heat the room. Close the blinds in the summer for the opposite effect. Furthermore, you can install radiant heating in your concrete flooring that will heat the floor. This heat will rise throughout the room, making this process a much more efficient way to heat your space than traditional radiant heating. All of this saves on energy costs.
Polished concrete flooring is one of the most eco-friendly flooring options available. It saves energy on utility costs, cuts out waste, and can improve air quality. Leaving little carbon footprint, polished concrete flooring is an eco-friendly flooring option that you should consider for your home or business. In addition, polished concrete flooring is stain-resistant, long-lasting, extremely durable, customizable, low maintenance, and water-proof. How many other flooring options can say the same?
Premier Polishing serves the Holbrook area with the best polished concrete, power washing, and sealed pavers services. Polished concrete is perfect for residential, commercial, and industrial uses. It’s very slip-resistant, making it a great choice for warehouses and restaurants where water is used often. Polished concrete comes in a variety of styles, affording you the opportunity to make the best impression for your home or business. We offer free estimates and quick installation services. When looking at flooring for your home or business, consider polished concrete, and call Premier Polishing today!